PCG EMAIL SERVICES: COTTON NEWS from Plains Cotton Growers, Inc. - September 28, 2018

PCG Email Services pcg_email_service at plainscotton.org
Fri Sep 28 13:18:39 CDT 2018

COTTON NEWS from Plains Cotton Growers, Inc. - September 28, 2018
4517 West Loop 289         Lubbock, Texas 79414          806-792-4904
http://www.facebook.com/PlainsCottonGrowers    Twitter: @PCGNews

COTTON HARVEST COMMENCES ON THE TEXAS HIGH PLAINS; FARM BILL STILL STALLED

Friday, September 28, 2018
By Mary Jane Buerkle

It's off to the races for the 2018 cotton crop, with at least three gins
processing cotton already, and if the weather holds, many more will follow
soon.

Oasis Gin, located in Gaines County west of Seminole, ginned the PCG
service area's symbolic first bale on Thursday, September 20, at 3:18 p.m.
It was grown and harvested by Clay Kemper of Midland County on acreage in
Andrews County. The variety was NexGen 4601 and the bale weighed in at 453
pounds.

Rainy, cool weather over the past couple of weeks have slowed end-stage
development of this year's crop in parts of the PCG region, but if sunny,
warmer days prevail in the next week or two, harvest activity should
increase significantly and be in full swing by the middle of October. Hot
weather this summer encouraged earlier maturity in some fields.

On the policy front, Sunday's deadline to complete the Farm Bill looms
with no resolution immediately in sight. In the House Agriculture
Committee's "#FarmBillFriday" series, Chairman Mike Conaway expressed his
frustration and reaffirmed once again his commitment to completing the
bill before the end of the year. Conaway's remarks as released are as
follows:

"I told a writer the other day that I probably played football too long
but as long as there was time on the clock, the score didn't matter, you
just go at it as hard as you can, for as long as you can. Once the clock
goes to all zeros, which will be midnight on Sept. 30, then it's a new
game.

"Folks are beginning to talk about extensions or whatever they want to. To
me, that means they've given up and I hate giving up. I just—I don't like
people who give up. That's just not what we do. Where we sit right now it
is across almost all of the titles, there are legitimate policy
differences of opinion across them. It's not just SNAP, it's not just the
farm bill, it's not just conservation, it's not title—it's a variety of
things that we have yet to come to grips with. It's really frustrating
because no one of them, who are actually all of them in combination, are
worthy of us not getting this done. It's just a matter of having the
political will to make those hard choices," Conaway said.

"Producers don't need the additional anxiety or uncertainty of not knowing
what the next five years looks like with respect to a farm bill. They're
living this five year drop in net farm income, 50 percent drop, the worst
since the depression, no real prospects of the commodity prices getting
any better, so getting the farm bill done is really important, but it's
got to be important to everybody negotiating. Right now, I don't get the
sense that getting something done has quite the sense of urgency with my
Senate colleagues as it does with me.

"I need to make hay while the sun shines right now. It's shining on us and
getting this farm bill done ought to be about the policy, it ought to be
about the people, it ought to be about who we can help, who we can assist
in these really really hard times. And just know that, the House of
Representative guys that are fighting this fight are in it to get this
thing done because their recognition of just how tough times are right now
in production agriculture," Conaway said.

                            Connect With PCG!
                     Find us on Facebook and Twitter!
               http://www.facebook.com/plainscottongrowers
                      http://www.twitter.com/PCGNews

                     Subscribe to PCG Email Services!
                            http://ow.ly/gp7KZ

UPCOMING SEED COTTON PROGRAM MEETINGS, CROP TOURS AND FIELD DAYS

October 3 – NexGen Field Day, 9 a.m., Agrisearch, Inc., Farm, Edmonson.
Donuts and coffee provided. More info: Americot, 806-793-1431, or your
local NexGen representative.

October 3 – Ag Law Workshop, G.C. Broughton Jr. Ag. Complex, 2411 Echols
St., Big Spring. Meal from 5-6 p.m., program from 6-8 p.m. No fee to
attend, but must RSVP by October 1 to the AgriLife Extension office in
Howard County at 432-264-2236 or enchandra.mendoza at ag.tamu.edu.

October 4 - Seed Cotton Program Educational Meeting, 9 a.m., Crosbyton
Library, 114 W. Aspen St., Crosbyton. More info: Texas A&M AgriLife
Extension - Crosby County, 806-675-2347.

October 8 - Swisher County Cotton Tour, 8:30 a.m., Tule Creek Gin, located
4 miles south of Tulia on Texas Highway 87. Lunch served, three CEUs
available (1-General, 1-Drift, 1-IPM). More info: Texas A&M AgriLife
Extension - Swisher County, 806-995-3726.

If you have a meeting or conference to add to this list, please
email maryjane at plainscotton.org or call (806) 792-4904.

      Want the facts about the U.S. agriculture and farm policy?
                  http://www.farmpolicyfacts.org

COTTON BOARD SEEKS PHOTOS FOR 2019 CALENDAR PHOTO CONTEST

Wednesday, September 19, 2018
From The Cotton Board

The Cotton Board wants to see your best cotton photos. One winning photo
will be selected and featured in The Cotton Board's 2019 Industry Calendar.

To be eligible to win, contestants must first "like" The Cotton Board
Facebook page and then email their high-res jpeg photo to
sgorman at cottonboard.org. Up to three entries per contestant will be
considered. The contest ends on October 5, 2018. Cotton Board staff will
vote to determine the winning photo.

The Cotton Board calendar is mailed to every cotton producer and ginner in
the U.S. The winner will have their photo, along with photo credit, featured
in the 2019 calendar and will also receive a cotton prize pack, including 25
copies of the calendar to share with friends and family, and other cotton
prizes.