PCG EMAIL SERVICES: KCBD.COM - Midwest farmers visit South Plains farms

PCG Email Services pcg_email_service at plainscotton.org
Thu Nov 5 08:50:00 CST 2015

KCBD.COM - Midwest farmers visit South Plains farms

http://www.kcbd.com/story/30441274/midwest-farmers-visit-south-plains-farms
(VIDEO at link)

Updated: Nov 04, 2015 10:36 PM CST
By Presley Fowler

Farmers from around the west and Midwest regions of the country were right here in Lubbock on Wednesday, wrapping up a four-day tour of farming operations in our area.

The tour was put on by the National Cotton Council to give these farmers a better understanding of what their peers here in the South Plains are doing.

Sixteen farmers from seven different states came for the tour, and for many of them it was their first time being exposed to southern agriculture.

"This is actually the first time I've ever seen a cotton field," Montana farmer Mitch Konen said.

Konen is a malt and barley producer from Fairfield, Montana.

A totally different type of farming, but he said he found a common ground with the challenges cotton farmers face.

"A lot of the same problems we face they also face," Konen said. "We're all together in this agricultural business."

The farmers on this tour traveled to the South Plains to see how farmers here handle these problems.

From environmental problems like droughts and floods, to production problems like obtaining the latest and greatest technology.

They've spent the last four days touring a variety of west Texas farms, to take what they learned back to their own farms.

Through the tour, these farmers got the chance to make connections and form relationships with the farmers in our region.

"This program can help open up those lines of communication. It makes all of agriculture's job much easier," National Cotton Council Director of Members John Gibson said.

"It's a global international market that we as farmers find ourselves in and I think that being able to communicate back and forth between commodity groups is a very important part of what we're doing here," Iowa soybean farmer Mark Jackson said.