PCG EMAIL SERVICES: LUBBOCKONLINE.COM - Seminole announces area's first cotton bale

PCG Email Services pcg_email_service at plainscotton.org
Thu Sep 18 17:40:43 CDT 2014

LUBBOCKONLINE.COM - Seminole announces area's first cotton bale

http://lubbockonline.com/filed-online/2014-09-08/seminole-announces-areas-first-cotton-bale#.VBtfFefkCwU

Monday, Sept. 8, 2014
By JOSIE MUSICO
A-J MEDIA

SEMINOLE — The South Plains now has a cotton bale.

Oasis Gin in Seminole received its first bale Friday afternoon (September 5) from local farmers Eldon and Tina Dyck.

The 505-pound bale was graded Monday (September 8). Its average loan value was 48.05.

Gin manager Kyle Taubert is optimistic about quality and yield. He anticipates full operations under a busy ginning season within a month or so.

Seminole has received 6.75 inches of precipitation this year and a full 2 inches last weekend, according to Texas Tech's West Texas Mesonet.

Some Gaines County cotton plants have suffered hail damage this growing season, Taubert said, but nothing close to the troubles affiliated with drought.

"One thing we have this year is a dryland crop," he said. "Our dryland crop ought to offset some of the acres we lost to hail."

The Dycks did not return phone calls from A-J Media as of news time.

Gaines County has frequently claimed the South Plains' title of first cotton bale in the past few years.