PCG EMAIL SERVICES: AG DAY LUBBOCK: Farm Bill meetings for local producers coming up

PCG Email Services pcg_email_service at plainscotton.org
Wed Mar 19 10:53:41 CDT 2014

AG DAY LUBBOCK: Farm Bill meetings for local producers coming up

http://www.myfoxlubbock.com/content/agdaylubbock/story/Farm-Bill-meetings-for-local-producers-coming-up/B-R7brZSi0OmE-nCWWEN-Q.cspx

Updated: 10:44 am 3/19
By Rebecca Rivers

There was a big turn out at the Bayer Museum of Agriculture for a primer on the new Farm Bill Tuesday.

There was a big turn out at the Bayer Museum of Agriculture for a primer on the new Farm Bill Tuesday.

The National Cotton Council hosted a series of meetings, breaking down the procedures for producers.
Dr. Gary Adams explained that 2014 is a transition year, especially for cotton.

"This farm bill is a fundamental change for cotton because it really takes a greater focus on some of the crop insurance products. There are going to be new insurance programs available for cotton. One is a new revenue insurance program that we refer to as the STAX product that can be purchased in addition to a producer's underlying coverage. It will be coming into effect with the 2015 crop."

Adams said producers will have to make a one-time choice for other crops later in the year, between price-based coverage or a revenue based formula.
Billy and Sue Weaver have been farming more than fifty years in Garza and Lynn Counties said without a strong safety net to cover drought and other hardships, many producers like them can't stay in business.

"Drought is just devastating. We have hail, we have insects and things. This farm bill is one that is very very important. We had insurance in the past, but we had so much involved there in a window that it would not cover. And with what we're looking at today there will be some help there. The STAX program and other things that we're seeing looks to me like they can be very useful for us."

The challenge for the USDA is to begin publishing and implementing the new policy. Producer sign up for insurance programs should begin as early as this fall.

Another farm bill meeting, hosted by Southwest Council of Agri-Business is scheduled for Thursday at Plains Cotton Cooperative Association on east 50th street beginning at 9 a.m.

For more information on additional meetings coming up in the future, visit http://www.plainscotton.org.